Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Other Side of the Fence

I've been wondering when I'd get to tackle these thoughts. You see I've been irritated by fellow Filipinos who, having lived in America for sometime, look down on our country and our people.

You know what I'm talking about. Maybe you have that college batchmate that posts irritating stories that put down Filipinos. Or that former officemate that always malign our government. Or that relative that all too well mimics that commercial. ("Walang ganyan sa 'states").

Its so easy to get defensive when we feel we are being slighted. And I, all too human felt self-righteous. Looking at them as proud, arrogant people who think so highly of themselves and their adoptive country.

That is before i came back from Vancouver.

I remember when my brother fetched me from the airport and a jeepney cut as off the road to unload some passengers - right in the middle of the road. That's when i knew i was back in the Philippines.

And i realized that those scathing remarks that i used to hear from those "arrogant people" could have easily passed my own lips. That for the lack of knowing something better, we Filipinos have been contented and complacent with passing off rude behaviour, graft and corruption, inefficiencies and laziness as "normal".

Ok, so before someone gets angry and gets defensive I have to admit that there are still traffic violations in Vancouver. The difference is in there it is a violation of laws and is frowned upon while here it is tolerated and some even chalk it up to resourcefullness (maabilidad). To be perfectly candid, it is sad to think that when my brother and I saw someone committing a traffic violation in Vancouver we were wondering if the driver was Filipino.

So now I have to reacquaint myself with crossing the streets and riding public transportation. Where once I'd often get myself and a car to a standstill because I wouldn't cross the street even when the car was waiting for me to cross, now I have to dodge the cars. Here the pedestrian has to find his way thru the cars as the cars are all blocking the pedestrian lane.

So where am I getting at? I'm saying that there is a better way. That we shouldn't be contented by what we see and what we have become accustomed to.

If I had one wish that would have clinched a decision to migrate to Canada. It would have been if the whole Filipino population was there too.

Minus the careless drivers, gossipy talk show hosts and dirty politicians of course! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home